FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp Woodford Reserve Bourbon — On sale at $18.99
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients until JUST incorporated and no flour streaks remain. Slowly pour in bourbon and buttermilk until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among cupcake liners – fill each 2/3 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until well blended. Beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and milk and continue to beat for 1 minute, adding more cream as needed for desired consistency.
- Scoop into a piping bag and pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
These cupcakes are surprisingly simple and make an unforgettable treat. Fluffy, creamy and boozy—what’s not to love?
Recipe adapted from The Chunky Chef.